[IDV #IFH-755538]: T-REX BAe real-time data

Hi all,

The FAAM file reads in as a trajectory/track dataset just fine. The BAe file,
on the other hand, does not get recognized as a trajectory/track dataset. The
problem is that it doesn't follow any of the conventions we recognize for
defining which variables are the coordinate variables (latitude, longitude,
elevation, and time).

I tried to write an NcML wrapper to add/modify a few attributes so that one of
the existing convention readers would recognize it. It didn't work because the
lat, lon, and alt variables are two dimensional arrays with the second
dimension having a size of 1. None of our trajectory convention readers know
how to deal with 2-D lat, lon, and alt variables.

Can you re-write any of this data to fit an existing convention?

Here's the NcML I tried:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
location="R:/testdata/trajectory/aircraft/bae.nc">
  <attribute name="Conventions" value="NCAR-RAF/nimbus" />
  <attribute name="Version" value="1.3" />
  <attribute name="coordinates" value="PARA0581 PARA0580 PARA0582 Time" />
  <dimension name="Time" orgName="data_point" />
  <variable name="PARA0580" shape="Time" /> <!-- latitude variable -->
  <variable name="PARA0581" shape="Time" /> <!-- longitude variable -->
  <variable name="PARA0582" shape="Time" /> <!-- altitude variable -->
</netcdf>

The three <variable> elements were my attempt to reduce the dimensionality of
the lat, lon, alt variables. But the netCDF-java code doesn't actually know how
to do this correctly (I guess this wasn't a target use case when the NcML code
was written).

Ethan

Ticket ID: IFH-755538
Department: Support netCDF Java