[IDD #CYS-425096]: NCEP Data Files

Hi Massoud,

> 1) Could you please tell me where I can locate the FTPs for the following
> data folders? We are writing a script code that will retrieve a folder from
> Unidata and having the FTPs would make it easier rather than retrieving each
> file at a time.
>
> WEST-CONUS_4km_IR
> EAST-CONUS_4km_IR
> WEST-CONUS_4km_VIS
> EAST-CONUS_4km_VIS
> NWS NEXRAD COMPOSITE 10km
> FORECAST MODEL RUN for NCEP-GFS-CONUS_80km_RUN and NCEP-NAM_80km_RUN

The THREDDS server on motherlode does not support FTP. If your data
requirements are for sustained access to real-time data, we would encourage you
to setup an LDM to feed off the IDD. Here are links to the LDM software and IDD
project:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idd/

It looks like there is already someone at Ames running an LDM. It doesn't look
like they are getting all the model and satellite data but you might try
talking to them. Sorry, we don't have any contact information. Not sure if this
will help you find a contact person but their LDM machine is vv1.arc.nasa.gov.

> 2) Could you also tell me the data formats used for each folder (i.e., Gini,
> Grib, or Dods, etc.)?

For the list you give above, the satellite and radar are all in GINI, the model
data is all either GRIB-1 or GRIB-2.

> 3) Which tool or converter would you recommend on a PC that will allow me to
> process or decode any raw data, regardless of the format, and display it as
> an image?

I don't have an extensive list but the IDV
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/) should be able to read all these
types of data. If you want programmatic access, try the netCDF-java library
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/).

Hope this helps,

Ethan

Ticket ID: CYS-425096