Re: HDF4

Hi Bruce,

Bruce Flynn wrote:
I have a boat load of hdf4 files that I would like to make available via the Thredds OpenDAP server. I see that the C version of the OpenDAP server supports hdf4 but I only see hdf5 listed for the java netcdf library. I gave it a shot and only get errors, so I'm assuming there is no backwards compatibility. Are there any options for serving hdf4 files using Thredds?

Currently the THREDDS Data Server (TDS) cannot serve HDF4 files via OPeNDAP.

HDF4 and HDF5 are very different and not compatible.

The TDS and netCDF-java library can deal with some HDF5 files because the netCDF-java library was used to prototype and test some things for the netCDF-4 project (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/) which is working to merge the netCDF and HDF5 libraries. But this project doesn't deal with HDF4.

Your best bet to get your HDF4 data files served is probably the OPeNDAP C++ HDF4 server which is available at http://www.opendap.org/.

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690