GALEON background and status information
Some of you are not able to get at all the information associated with GALEON teleconferences and meetings, so I've made summaries of a couple key documents available on Unidata web pages. In particular, changes to the Web Coverage Service, WCS
1.1, are under consideration that will make CF-netCDF one of the supported encoding formats. The essence of the changes is provided in two documents. The first summarizes the revised section of the spec itself:
and the second is the draft WCS 1.1 application profile for
According to the revised WCS under consideration, an application profile of this sort has to be
approved by OGC for WCS encoding formats. Note that the draft of the CF-netCDF application profile is preceded by background information.
For those of you interested in additional topics under discussion within GALEON, a list is appended to this note.
Teleconference discussion topics:1.
GALEON issues at the June OGC Technical Committee Meetings. Most of the discussion related to GALEON will take place at:
- WCS Revision Working Group at 10:00 to 12:00 Monday, June 26
- Coverages Working Group from 13:00 to 15:00 Tuesday, June 27
There is a 40 minute placeholder for "GALEON Phase 2 planning" at the end of the Coverages WG session, so it would be good to identify who will be there, who would like to participate via telecon, and, most important, who will give presentations.
Two pending documents are of special relevance:
of the WCS 1.1. draft is especially important because it changes the way WCS encoding formats are determined. Adoption of this combination will establish CF-netCDF as a supported coverage format.
Where do we go from here with the GALEON IE and GALEON OGCnetwork?
Need to define prioirities or subgroup responsibilities:
- continuing demos in conjunction with the GSN OGCnetwork
- client and server implementations and testing between pairs
- move toward finalizing ncML-GML and CSML
- relationship to WFS, CSW, GML-JPEG2000
Outstanding issues, e.g.:
- Simon Cox email discussion of EPSG order of Latitude Longitude components
- "Granularity" of WCS for CF-netCDF, i.e., some clients consider one CF-netCDF dataset as a WCS server. Serious need for catalogs.
NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available
through the web. If you do not want to have your interactions made
available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.