is restarting tomcat necessary?

I'm working on some scripts that generate some catalogs for my data in a specific way. I am therefore modifying my catalogs during the debug and testing process. Is it necessary to restart tomcat each time? I'm restarting to often and getting "port already in use" errors. It's getting to be a real pain, so any help would be much appreciated.

Bruce
UW SSEC
Rm. 243