Re: difference in new XML standard

Ethan Davis wrote:
Hi Bjørge,

Bjørge Solli wrote:

Hi, I'm hoping John or someone else can answer this.

I'm trying to get my old urls to look as much alike as possible as before when using aggregation in the catalog file, and migrating from the 0.6 xml-standard to 1.0.1. (thredds 2.0b to 3.6)

My old service-tag looked like this:
<service name="TOPAZ" serviceType="OpenDAP" base="http://nerscweb.bccs.uib.no/nersc/nph-dods/mersea-ip/arctic/mersea-class1/"; />
which made the url look like this:
http://topaz.nersc.no/thredds/dodsC/mersea-ip-topaz-class1-arctic-b20051102.html

Since url = service.base + dataset.urlPath, I would have expected that the url
would have to start with

http://nerscweb.bccs.uib.no/nersc/nph-dods/mersea-ip/arctic/mersea-class1/

so i guess the service you are showing is the internal server base.

My new xml-file I today noticed makes a url like this(not online yet):
http://topaz.nersc.no/thredds/dodsC/topaz/mersea-ip-topaz-class1-arctic-b20051102.html
(notice the 'topaz')

The service tag that makes such links look like this:
 <service name="TOPAZ" serviceType="OpenDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/">
<datasetRoot path="topaz" location="http://nerscweb.bccs.uib.no/nersc/nph-dods/mersea-ip/arctic/mersea-class1/"; />
 </service>

In the TDS case, the url has to start with /thredds/dodsC/, so that the right servlet gets called. Then the datasetRoot.path gets stuck in there, so that we can find the datasetRoot and map to its location. So the url has to start with
/thredds/dodsC/topaz/

then comes the rest of the filename, presumably

mersea-ip-topaz-class1-arctic-b20051102

if you want to match
http://topaz.nersc.no/thredds/dodsC/mersea-ip-topaz-class1-arctic-b20051102.html

the problem is that theres no dataset root path, so no way to map to the root.
So I guess the answer is no, theres no way to reproduce that url, sorry.

I've tried setting the path to "", "/" and ".", but none of them work.

Should I consider this a lost case, or is there some way to get the old url back?
If your three tries ("", "/", ".") don't work, I suspect the TDS does not support the type of URL you are trying to recreate. The path basically is an ID for mapping a URL to a datasetRoot or datasetScan. The idea of an empty path (kind of a default datasetRoot) didn't come up. I don't think there is a reason it couldn't be implemented. However, I do know there are lots of places in the code that make sure the path doesn't start with a slash ("/") and others that assume it is a non-empty string.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a mod_rewrite equivalent in the servlet world.

Ethan