Re: [Fwd: Re: display of metadata html]

I am looking at your catalog at

 http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml

i am wondering what if you put just the catalogRef in this top catalog, and then add the metadata to the referenced catalog? That would make things slightly easier.

I will also look at adding a link back to the catalog from the dataset.

Carl Wolfteich wrote:
Actually, using my catalog as an example, I was thinking that the parent dataset "metadata" (html) page like this first one:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml&dataset=SSM/I%20Pathfinder%20Wind%20Speed%20-%20Level%202

would have a link in it to its CatalogRef:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/JPL054.xml

and also in reverse, a dataset node like this:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/JPL054.xml&dataset=1987-217

would have a link back to its parent metadata page (first page given above):

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml&dataset=SSM/I%20Pathfinder%20Wind%20Speed%20-%20Level%202

In your example it would be the same as having a link from your data node:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml&dataset=NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km/DGEX_Alaska_12km_20051221_0000.grib2

to this html page for the parent dataset:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml&dataset=NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km

What do you think, is at least one of these links pretty doable? Thanks again.

Carl

John Caron wrote:

address@hidden wrote:

Late in the day, probably didn't make myself very clear. We felt that online users who accessed the catalog might find themselves navigating within these html pages. And as a convenience, if they were on the parent dataset page (for a particular dataset) where the complete metadata is presented, we wanted to make it easy to directly go to the CatalogRef listing for that dataset without going back to the main thredds catalog page at http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu/thredds/ and linking through there.

so a catalog like

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml

should link to its parent catalog:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/dgex_model.xml

??

And the other potential link I referred to would be down at the granule level. On our present catalog, if you go down to metadata at the granule level, which is accessed by the links in the CatalogRef element for each
dataset, we were suggesting a
link down at this granule level back up to the parent dataset (metadata) page that I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

so a dataset "node" like

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml&dataset=NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km/DGEX_Alaska_12km_20051221_0000.grib2

should link to its containing catalog, like:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml

??

If thats what you mean, that seems reasonable, the second one is easy to implement, but Im not sure if the first one is; catalogs dont know who their parents are, if they exist, and the parent doesnt have to be unique.