To: address@hidden
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rge_Solli?= <address@hidden>
Subject: NcML Aggregation in THREDDS

Hi,

I am currently rewriting our xml-files to use the new aggregation functionality in Thredds 3.4. I have looked over all the documentation I could find on thredds and NcML but still have one unansvered Q. Hope you can help:

In the old version we used AggServer with an xml-statement like this:
<aggregation serviceName=".." aggType=".." varType=".." varUnit".." dateFormat="yyyy/M/d:hh:mm:ss z">
<fileAccess urlPath="long_name_b20030604_f200305289999.nc" coord="2003/05/28:00:00:00 GMT" />

My remaining Q is where I should write dateFormat now. I have something like this:
<variable name="time" type="int" shape="time">
<attribute name="units" value=".." />
<attribute name="_CoordinateAxisType" value="Time" />
</variable>

Here you are defining a time coordinate of dataType "int"

I see I omitted the units-value, it is "secs since 1970-01-01 00:00:00". This is a value I don't think my research coworkers want to change since I understand it is some standard in their field. The one in charge are on holidays, so will have to wait till he's back for the definite answer.

yes thats a udunit string, which thredds also uses. but if you use this, then you must write the correct integer values in the coord field.

<aggregation dimName="time" type="joinNew">
<variableAgg name="T" />
netcdf location="long_name_b20030604_f200305289999.nc" coord=""2003/05/28:00:00:00 GMT" />

But you are giving it String values.

I guess I could give it int-values, but that would remove readability.

true, so the ISO 8601 date strings would work better.

Do you have the ability to write ISO 8601 date strings? If so, I would change the type of the time coordinate to String and do that.

Thanks for the advice, I will discuss it with my coworkers.

Since I am not using the scan tag I cannot use the dateFormatMark either (which would not work on this example anyway since the filename is not the same in front of the #-mark, which would have to be after the '_f').

We will also add regular expression matcher for that case.

Regexp is good! Is it possible to use it directly in the xml?

BTW: I'm a programmer, not a researcher, so I don't think I fully understand the implications a change like the one you suggested would have.

Thankyou.
Regards