Re: P in OPenDAP

On Jan 26, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Nathan Potter wrote:

T,

Actually its OPeNDAP, not OPenDAP.

And it stands for: Open-source Project for Network Data Access Protocol.

This is close, but not quite right. It's the "Open source Project for a Network Data Access Protocol". You left the "a" out Nathan.

Regarding your question about the capitalization of the letter "P" in the acronym, I think that a more compelling question is: Why is there a lower case "e"?

Lower case e because there are no words in the name that start with an e, but I wanted the e in the name to underline the
fact that the project is "open".

For quite some time I thought that it was "OpenDAP = Open Data Access Protocol". I was however, misinformed.

As to your final question, I suspect that a violent revolution could be triggered by changing the capitalization of the acronym at this time.

It would have to be pretty violent.

The other choice we considered was the "Distributed Networked Data access system" ==> DisNDat
OPeNDAP sounds a bit more professional.

Peter

Cheers,

Nathan

PS - I pointed out to James that the opendap.org web site does not contain the expansion of the acronym and he said he would address this oversight.