Re: Serving local netCDF files though DODS

McCann, Mike wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Caron [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 11:18 AM
To: McCann, Mike
Cc: 'address@hidden'
Subject: Re: Serving local netCDF files though DODS

McCann, Mike wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to serve local netCDF files through the agg server and
access them through the DODS API.  It is not working.

Here is the contents of my dodsC/catalogConfig.xml file:

<!DOCTYPE catalog SYSTEM
"http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/xml/AggServerCa

talog.dtd">

<catalog name="THREDDS - DODS Aggregation Server Catalog"

version="0.6" xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds"; xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>

<dataset name="AUVCTD mission netCDF files" serviceName="this">
<service name="this" serviceType="DODS" base=""/>
<service name="local" serviceType="NetCDF"

base="file:///C:/iagdata/ssds/data/auvctd/missionnetcdfs/"/>

<dataset name="Non-Aggregated Netcdf Files"

dataType="Grid" serviceName="this">

<property name="internalService" value="local"/>
<dataset

name="2004/2004029/2004.029.03/parosci.nc" urlPath="2004/2004029/2004.029.03/parosci.nc"/>

                </dataset>
        </dataset>
</catalog>

It validates and passes the debug test, yet when I click on

any of the

DDS or DAS links I get this in my browser:

kDODServlet ERROR:
dods.servlet.DODSServlet.getDataset(Ldods/servlet/ReqState; Ldods/servlet/GuardedDataset;

I don't see any helpful messages in the log files.

What am I doing wrong?
Even some suggestions as to how I may do my own debugging will be helpful.

-Mike

sorry that message is so unhelpful. look on the console window of the tomcat server and see if there are any messages.

John,

I don't see anything helpful on the console or in any log files.
A strange thing is that last night I did get the DODS serving to
work - once. I then started to add more data sets to the XML and could not get it to work again! I kept getting the above
ERROR.

Now, this morning I am getting this error message for a .dds request:

 Error {
   code = 1;
   message = "Dataset not found in catalog; urlPath=
<2004/2004029/2004.029.03/parosci.nc>";
 };

Is the base from the local service not getting prepended?
Does the Windows file:///C:/... syntax mess things up?

Thanks for the help. I got real excited when I saw it work last night, but I have no idea what sequence of events caused this
temporary success.

-Mike

--
Mike McCann Software Engineer
7700 Sandholdt Road

i think /// is correct on windows, but not on linux (?)

also try

file:c:/blah/blah

technically the file URL is "opaque" meaning each OS interprets it anyway they want. I will try to make our handing more robust next version.

can you set up your server in a way that is publically accessible ?