                        From: Yuan Ho [<mailto:yuanho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>]
                        Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 9:29 AM
                        To: McCann, Mike
                        Cc: 'thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
                        Subject: Re: Serving local netCDF files though DODS

                        McCann, Mike wrote:

                                Hello,

                                I am trying to serve local netCDF files through
the agg

                        server and access

                                them through the DODS API.  It is not working.

                        Have you installed a DODS server and link these netCDF
files to this server? According
                        to this configure file the serviceType is DODS, you
need a DODS server. AGG server is
                        based on DODS server, hope this will not confuse you.

                        Yuan

                Hi Yuan,

                I am running this on a Win2k laptop and am not aware of another
DODS
                netCDF server for this platform. I was lead to believe that the
dodsC AS would perform the function of a DODS netCDF server.
                Is this not true? How can I serve netCDF files through DODS from
                my laptop?

                This is important for taking this technology on the road for
                presentations at workshops and conferences.
                Regarding confusion, I admit that I am confused by the examples
                presented at:

<http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/projects/THREDDS/tech/dodsAS/AggServerConfig.html>
                Example 6 suggests that the AS can serve local netCDF files as
                DODS data sets.  (Replacing the "..." at the beginning of this
XML
                snippet with actual tags would be helpful.  Also, it'd be nice
                to be more explicit about the differences between examples 3
and 6.)
                -Mike
        Ok, so what you need is a netCDF type service. I think your config is
ok, but you confused
        the dataset name and urlpath, dataset name is only the one you want to
see on browser, and the
        urlpath need to have the dataset real file name there.

        Yuan

                                Here is the contents of my
dodsC/catalogConfig.xml file:

                                <!DOCTYPE catalog SYSTEM

"<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/xml/AggServerCat>
                        alog.dtd">

                                <catalog name="THREDDS - DODS Aggregation
Server Catalog"

                        version="0.6"
xmlns="<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds>;
xmlns:xlink="<http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink>;>

                                <dataset name="AUVCTD mission netCDF files"
serviceName="this">
                                <service name="this" serviceType="DODS"
base=""/>
                                <service name="local" serviceType="NetCDF"

base="file:///C:/iagdata/ssds/data/auvctd/missionnetcdfs/"/>

                                <dataset name="Non-Aggregated Netcdf Files"

                        dataType="Grid" serviceName="this">

                                <property name="internalService" value="local"/>
                                <dataset

                        name="2004/2004029/2004.029.03/parosci.nc"
urlPath="2004/2004029/2004.029.03/parosci.nc"/>

                                                </dataset>
                                        </dataset>
                                </catalog>

                                It validates and passes the debug test, yet
when I click on

                        any of the DDS or DAS

                                links I get this in my browser:

                                kDODServlet ERROR:

dods.servlet.DODSServlet.getDataset(Ldods/servlet/ReqState;
Ldods/servlet/GuardedDataset;

                                I don't see any helpful messages in the log
files.

                                What am I doing wrong? Even some suggestions as
to how I may do my own debugging

                        will be helpful.

                                -Mike

                                --