Re: vocabularies

Ethan Davis wrote:

We might want to allow multiple variable vocabulary names to each variable as well so that dataset variable names can be mapped into multiple conventions/controlled vocabs without repeating everything. For instance,

<variable name="wv">
<vocabulary_name vocabulary="CF-1.0">Wind Speed</vocabulary_name>
<vocabulary_name vocabulary="DIF">EARTH SCIENCE, Atmosphere, Atmospheric Winds, Surface Winds</vocabulary_name>
<units vocabulary="udunits>m/s</units>
</variable>

Ethan

An excellent point, which changes the way I think of attributes, and will probably change the way I code them: any attribute controlled by vocabularies might have different values for different vocabularies, and thus might get repeated.

I take it that if I am willing to repeat everything, I am supposed to create a series of metadata containers, each with a different vocabulary, e.g.

<metadata vocabulary="DIF" inherit=true>
<vocabulary_name>EARTH SCIENCE, Atmosphere, Atmospheric Winds, Surface Winds</vocabulary_name>
</metadata>
<metadata vocabulary="CF-1.0" inherit=true>
<vocabulary_name>Wind Speed</vocabulary_name>
</metadata>

-- Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal address@hidden International Research Institute for climate prediction The Earth Institute at Columbia University Lamont Campus, Palisades NY 10964-8000 (845) 680-4450