RE: Proposed new specification for THREDDSS Catalogs

John,

Some nice new features in this spec, especially in the services area.  A couple
of observations based on our use.

(1) There is still not a "swath" dataType - as opposed to "grid" or "image".
Maybe we're the only ones using swath so its not a community issue, but thought
I would mention it.

(2) Obviously we are always looking at ways to facilitate the use of ESML
definitions.  I looked through the spec trying to figure out where it might fit
best.  I guess one place might be as a serviceType for the service element if
there could then be an associated URL for the description file.  Another
thought was in the metadata element, or maybe a combination of the two - in
other words a serviceType of ESML which could then trigger an application to
look at an associated metadata element for the necessary links.  It might be
appropriate as a type in dataFormat where there is a list of known formats and
the use of ESML there could essentially make that list extensible to less known
formats that could be defined by an ESML description.

Those are suggestions, but I'm sure you guys can better see where it would fit
best based on your conceptual view of the catalog if there is any interest.

thanks,

Ken Keiser
Information Technology and Systems Center
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Technology Hall
Huntsville, AL 35899
Email: address@hidden Web:  http://www.itsc.uah.edu/