Re: New attempt

John Caron wrote:
I will think some more about that, and ask if others have ideas about this
also. I also want to double check that this example:

<dataset name="LEVITUS94 dataset" urlPath="SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/dods"/>
<catalogRef xlink:title="Drill down into dataset"
  xlink:href=""http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/LEVITUS94/thredds.xml">http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/LEVITUS94/thredds.xml"
/>

accurately reflects the capability you envision, except that there is no
indication that these two are the same object.

It accurately reflects a capability that I envision, *but* it is not an example of the capability that I was trying to present with
this example.

<catalog>
<service ID="IngridDataset" serviceType="Compound" base="http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/">
<service serviceType="DODS" suffix="dods"/>
<service serviceType="Catalog" suffix="thredds.xml"/>
</service>
<collection name="LEVITUS94">
<attribute name="fullname" value="LEVITUS94"/>
<access serviceID="IngridDataset" urlPATH="SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/"/>
<attribute name="references" value="Conkright:etal1994 Levitus:Boyer1994a Levitus:etal1994 Levitus:Boyer1994c"/>

<documentation>LEVITUS94:  World Ocean Atlas 1994, an atlas of objectively analyzed fields of major ocean parameters</documentation>

<documentation xlink:href=""http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.dataset_documentation.html"/">http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.dataset_documentation.html"/>
<document xlink:href=""http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.oceanviews.html">http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.oceanviews.html" name="oceanviews"/>
<document xlink:href=""http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.oceanviews2.html">http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.oceanviews2.html" name="oceanviews2"/>
<document xlink:href=""http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.Zmix.html">http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.Zmix.html" name="Zmix"/>
<dataset name="ANNUAL">
<access serviceID="IngridDataset" urlPATH="SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.ANNUAL/"/>
</dataset>
<dataset name="MONTHLY">
<access serviceID="IngridDataset" urlPATH="SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.MONTHLY/"/>
</dataset>
<dataset name="SEASONAL">
<access serviceID="IngridDataset" urlPATH="SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.SEASONAL/"/>
</dataset>
</collection>
</catalog>

Here I have drilled down into a dataset that can be served as a DODS dataset.   I call it a collection, because it is the top container for this catalog (and because this has been causing a great deal of confusion and I am hoping this will be clearer).   It can be served as a DODS dataset, so there is an access for the collection.

--
Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          address@hidden
International Research Institute for climate prediction