Re: orthogonality (was Re: New attempt)

John Caron wrote:
Much harder question is the distinction between a dataset and a collection,
since a dataset is a collection of data. I have conceptualized it as
follows: a dataset is something that can be selected, and then it is
processed in a protocol-dependent way. A collection is a
protocol-independent mechanism for grouping datasets.

I think this is what is getting us into trouble.    The concept of a dataset should be independent of the services available for it:  a dataset served from two different servers could very well have different services/protocols available, depending on the server.  (the aggregation server converts collections to datasets, for example).  Yet from the THREDDS/educational point of view, it is the same object.

Benno

--
Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          address@hidden
International Research Institute for climate prediction