portmap questions (fwd)

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:38:55 -0600
From: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: portmap questions

Hi Mike,

This is a question I got (via the phone) from a Suominet person.  I hope
I understand this correctly and can convey it clearly.

Someone did some configuration on their machine that they want to clone
and send out to a bunch of sites.  That person seems to think that
portmapper will only work with complete, specific IP addresses in
hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  But, the Suominet people want to allow any
machine from a local subnet to connect to that machine and receive data
from the LDM.  So, they've put an 'allow' for *.<subnet>.<domain> in
their ldmd.conf file.  But if the portmapper won't allow wildcard chars,
then they can't achieve this.

Is that your understanding about portmap?
Can you specify wildcard chars in hosts.allow or hosts.deny. Or, do you
think it will allow a way to specify a subnet?

Thanks!

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307