[python #CNI-969811]: Change projection of polar data

Greetings!

You'll definitely need to reproject to a common projection in order for the
process to work right (and then possibly use interp()). If xESMF is not
producing results you like, you might want to take a look at rasterio, which
has image "warping" (reprojection) capbilities:

https://rasterio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/rasterio.warp.html#rasterio.warp.reproject

You might also want to look at rioxarray, which helps add xarray support to
rasterio. MetPy itself doesn't have any support for reprojecting/warping grids.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> Dear unidata,
>
> I've been struggling with north pole data. I want to perform a correlation
> between two datasets, but the polar data is
> in LambertAzimuthalEqualArea and the other (which is global) is
> in PlateCarree. I need them to have the same cellsize, so I've tried
> xarray.interp() but don't work and I think it could be because of the
> different projections. So I don't know how is the more straight-forward way
> to do that. MetPy has this useful tool to make the plots even the
> projection, but if you want to really change it...I really like how the
> interp function works because I don't loose so much pixels around the
> coast, but I've tried other methods like xESMF library but loose a lot of
> information. Is there a way to change only the projection and then use
> interp?

Ticket ID: CNI-969811
Department: Support Python