[python #YYA-686743]: MetPy Mondays #11 - Plotting GOES-16 Data with Widgets

Hello, and thanks for reaching out.

The base URL for that data has changed. It can be found at
https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes/east/products/CloudAndMoistureImagery/catalog.html,
 so your new date string might look like

  'https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes/east/products/'

f'CloudAndMoistureImagery/{region}/Channel{channel:02d}/{date:%Y%m%d}/catalog.xml'

Note that these early MetPy Mondays are years old and very out-of-date now, so
we can't support them as they were presented. In this example, the remainder of
your notebook won't run due to changes in the way we process projection
information. For (mostly) up-to-date examples that mirror MetPy Mondays, please
check out our Python Training collection of notebooks. Here is the one of
particular interest for this example:
https://github.com/Unidata/python-training/blob/master/pages/workshop/Satellite_Data/GOES%20Interactive%20Plot.ipynb.
 Note that some of those materials are also currently outdated as presented on
the web, though we are working to fix that this Summer. Thanks, and I hope this
helps!

All the best,

Drew

> I'm reviewing another past MetPy Monday and noticed a problem with the URL
> from the TDS command.
>
> This,
>
> at = TDSCatalog('
> http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes16/GOES16/
> '
> '{}/{}/Channel{:02d}/catalog.xml'.format(date, region,
> channel))
>
> is giving this error,
>
> HTTPError: 404 Client Error: 404 for url:
> https://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes16/GOES16/20220607/Mesoscale-1/Channel09/catalog.xml

Ticket ID: YYA-686743
Department: Support Python