[python #EBA-798296]: MetPy Mondays 206-208 KMZ File Creation

Greetings!

Can you share the exact code you're running? While I trust that you've tried to
copy John's exactly, the first steps in debugging are going to be reproducing
this locally and then see why it's not giving the same results from the MetPy
Monday. I'd like to short circuit the step where I type in John's code, run it
with my data, and don't reproduce your problem.

Cheers!

Ryan

> Hello!
>
> I’ve been following along on Metpy Mondays for a while now. Fantastic place
> to learn how to manipulate and display data. It’s truly an invaluable service
> and I’m very thankful for it.
>
> I followed along the Youtube videos 206-208 with a slightly different
> dataset… WRF actually. But the idea is the same. I just want to turn my
> contours into a KMZ.
>
> The problem I’m having is that contours that should be a certain color are
> definitely not being colored in that color in the kmz, while in the jpg
> graphic that I’m comparing to they are correct. I’m attaching a couple
> examples of what I’m noticing. I don’t know what would cause this issue as
> it’s WRF data that is gridded that has data at every point. I’m zooming into
> a specific region in the kmz for reference on the jpegs.
>
> The first set is showing just positive values while the second is showing
> what the actual dataset is like.. with both positive and negative values. The
> variable plotted is vertical velocity, so the units are in cm/sec.
>

> You can see from the first set where I’ve titled just VV_Positive it paints a
> light reddish color in areas that should clearly be white or below 0.. ie
> negative. Oddly enough I tried this the other way around, by only plotting
> the negative contours and it correctly did not place down color and just was
> blank.. which is what I’m expecting it to do in this case but it’s not.
>
> The second set of graphics is what I’m actually trying to display. Titled
> VV_Both… both positive and negative and as you can see the 2 images do not
> line up at all. Where there should be negative blue contours there is still a
> shade of red in the KMZ… which I find very odd as it’s still showing the
> contour lines, so it’s recognizing that there is a contour there but yet it
> does not even change the gradient nor display it correctly.
>

> My code is exactly the same as John’s from the Youtube Videos. I’m hoping
> John Lehman or someone could take a look at this problem and see if its’ my
> WRF data or there’s just something odd happening with trying to do both
> positive and negative contours.
>
> Thank you for taking a look!

Ticket ID: EBA-798296
Department: Support Python