[python #FFR-890728]: Any code recommendations to convert altimetry pressure to altitude

Hello, and thanks for following up!

MetPy doesn't require NetCDF for any of its functionality. MetPy does require
xarray, and some *very* old versions of xarray might require NetCDF, and MetPy
does not support these very old version of xarray. You might want to make sure
your environment is as updated as you can get it!

We do have some examples in general you can check out,

    Our user's guide:
https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/userguide/index.html
    The MetPy examples gallery:
https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/examples/index.html

We don't have any specific examples of this conversion being used, but I might
be able to put one together for you with some sample data or if you provide me
with some shareable data.

If updating your environment doesn't fix your import errors, then follow up and
let me know, and provide the full code and errors you get if possible. Thanks!

All the best,

Drew

> I am doing lots of calculations comparing accuracy of pressure to height:
>
> I try adding your stuff, for example,
>

> import math
> import metpy.calc as mpcalc
> from metpy.units import units
>
> #Read in Data
> df = pd.read_csv("./balloon_data/gps_analysis_2.csv", index_col = False)
> df['Time']=(pd.to_datetime(df['Time'].str.strip(), format='%Y-%m-%d
> %H:%M:%S'))
> #reduce data sample size to second level precision
> df['Time'] = df['Time'].values.astype('<M8[s]')
> df.drop_duplicates(subset ="Time",inplace = True, keep = 'last')
> print(df)
>
> def pres2alt_metpy(P):
> p = P.vaules * units.pPa
> h = mpcalc.pressure_to_height_std(p)
> return h
>
> but getting lots of import errors like I need netcdf,
>
> do use your mini-calc-functions to do calculations, do you have an example I
> can use. I mean, I will import netcdf,
> just surprised I need it.

Ticket ID: FFR-890728
Department: Support Python