[python #FFR-890728]: Any code recommendations to convert altimetry pressure to altitude

Hello! Thanks for the follow-up

You're right! I had misunderstood. MetPy does have some functions that may be
helpful for you here. First, you can calculate height from a given pressure,

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.pressure_to_height_std.html#metpy.calc.pressure_to_height_std

assuming the 1976 US Standard atmosphere
[https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19770009539].

You also may be able to use MetPy's thickness calculation,

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.thickness_hydrostatic.html

given an entire profile of pressure and temperature, and assumes a hydrostatic
atmosphere. You can check the referenced equations if needed.

It will be up to you to evaluate if these assumptions are valid for your
use-case, but we do have these tools available! I hope this helps, and don't
hesitate to follow up if you need.

All the best,

Drew

> I may of said something incorrectly. We want to calculate height given
> pressure. I said using altimeter because I thought they were synonymous. But
> maybe they aren't
>
> Would you of said anything different if I said calculate height versus
> pressure?

Ticket ID: FFR-890728
Department: Support Python