[python #FFR-890728]: Any code recommendations to convert altimetry pressure to altitude

Hello! Thanks for reaching out.

MetPy has functions for calculating a surface weather station's surface or
sea-level pressure, given an altimeter reading and its height. MetPy does not
have functionality for calculating height from altimeter readings. You can
check out some of the equations we cite for these here,

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.altimeter_to_station_pressure.html

(see notes section) if they're helpful, but I imagine the assumptions they make
might not work well in the stratosphere. If you think this functionality
should/could be implemented in MetPy, drop us a feature request on GitHub at
the link below!

https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/issues/new?assignees=&labels=Type%3A+Feature&template=feature_request.md

Thanks, and I hope this is still helpful!

All the best,

Drew

> We are working on high altitude balloon. I'm looking for recommended code
> that can convert altimetry readings to heights.
> Are current equations, which I can provide, seem to be off in the
> stratosphere.

Ticket ID: FFR-890728
Department: Support Python