[python #ACE-827366]: Improve speed of contourf plots

Hello, and thanks for the follow-up!

One of the main benefits of managing your environments with conda is that you
don't have to rely on system-installation of libraries like PROJ and GEOS.
Required packages (like Shapely, in this case) which are included can be built
against these included libraries. If you *need* to rely on these external
libraries instead of controlling this per-environment with conda, you will have
to rely on building shapely from source via pip. I can point you in the right
direction here if this is what you need.

However, we'd recommend using conda here if you're able! Fixing your
environment might take a few steps, here's some suggestions:

  1. `conda update -c conda-forge --all` from within your environment: this
will attempt to update every package from conda-forge, and attempt to solve an
environment with the newest compatible versions of packages. If you've
specified versions of other packages in the past, this might be where your
conflicts are coming in.

  2. Make a new environment! This should solve things one way or another. In
all likelihood your current environment may be including an older netcdf,
geopandas, shapely etc. that might be requiring an older version of PROJ or
GEOS.

    conda create -n <my-env-name> -c conda-forge cartopy==0.20.0 <your
remaining packages>
    conda activate <my-env-name>

If these don't work, then be sure to follow up with me and provide for me the
output of `conda list` from within your environment, either within the e-mail
or as a text attachment. Hope this helps!

All the best,

Drew

> I wasn't aware that Cartopy 0.20.0 had been released, so I appreciate the
> heads up.
>
> However, while trying to acquire 0.20.0 I'm running into trouble--mainly that
> attempted installations through Conda are not able to see my updated PROJ and
> GEOS libraries (which have been updated system wide).  A Conda-specific
> upgrade to these libraries is resulting a frozen solve, and failing.
>
> Is there anyway I can point Conda/Cartopy to see upgraded system GEOS and
> PROJ libraries? They're the basic /usr/local, but Conda keeps finding
> outdated the outdated version in the Anaconda path, and then failing.

Ticket ID: ACE-827366
Department: Support Python