[python #MBM-874792]: NetCDF viewer recommendation

Greetings!

On the Python side, I'd look at opening the dataset using xarray, or you can
manually read in the netCDF variables using netCDF4-python and use cftime to
decode it.

However, I'm curious about the data--I'd expect Panoply (which uses netCDF-java
from Unidata) to decode most data fine. Can you share a link to some data
somewhere or share the full metadata about the time variable?

Cheers,

Ryan

> Dear Unidata:
>
> I have NetCDF file, trying to figure out the time units. I think in my case
> its seconds since the end of the Mayan calendar.
>
> Anyway, I tried to install NCAR graphics (NCL) to use their tool, that failed
> and don't understand their help desk system.
>
> There are several links on dozens of ways to view NetCDF. Currently, using
> Panopy, but Panopy (Nasa's program) is not telling me anything I understand
> about the time units. It says my time units go from 737879.5 to 737889.5 (81
> units for 24-hour period).
>
> Does your team have recommended approach?
>
> If not, next I will look at PyNIO and PyNGL.

Ticket ID: MBM-874792
Department: Support Python