[python #NRL-946248]: Does Metpy recognize below ground level pressure level data?

Greetings,

Apologies on the delayed response to your Stack Overflow question, it's been a
busy month around here. I have responded to your question over on SO:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67644489/does-metpy-recognize-pressure-levels-and-pressure-level-data-that-are-below-grou/67977241#67977241

Hopefully that answers your question. If not, feel free to follow up
(preferably over on SO) and we'll try to get things sorted out.

Cheers!

Ryan

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working with RAP analysis data within Metpy to calculate
> various parameters such as SRH, CAPE, etc. I am wondering if Metpy recognizes
> when pressure levels are below the ground (will automatically ignore the
> levels where the data is below ground level, e.g., 'negative' heights). For
> example, when calculating bunkers storm motion and providing the geopotential
> height profile, does Metpy recognize the pressure levels that are below
> ground level as the input fields from the RAP analysis data are on pressure
> levels (1000 hPa, 950 hPa, etc.). e.g., the 1000 hPa pressure level is at
> -158 meters below sea-level. I have tried to determine this but have not been
> able to with any certainty. In addition, should the data provided for the
> height profile be height above sea-level or height above ground-level or it
> does not matter?

Ticket ID: NRL-946248
Department: Support Python