[python #FIG-705965]: Control Operational Portal

Greetings!

It's not really clear what you mean by "speed". If you mean is anything fast
enough to generate an interactive website by running a utility on-demand to
generate some kind of asset (static image, json), then probably not. If you
want interactivity in the visualization, you're going to have to turn to
javascript. If you're just talking about having a site that operates
performantly with static images and some javascript to make menus/buttons, then
anything (including Python) should be fast enough--unless you would need to
generate tens of thousands of images.

I'd say there's hope because here's a demo that's loading a netCDF file of wind
data into leaflet.js, using the ipyleaflet package to display all of that
within a Jupyter notebook:

  https://ipyleaflet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api_reference/velocity.html

That seems to imply it'd be possible in either javascript or python worlds to
do this with plenty of speed for interactive use.

Good luck!

Ryan

> Ryan,
>
> thank you,
>
> I did try building my own met graphics for speed, using JavaScript libraries
> and that failed as well (failed my speed test).
>
> I will check out the web site you showed, do you know of any meteorological
> graphic packages that would be faster (e.g., NCAR graphics, IDV, Gempak,
> maybe GMT)?
>
> I also have seen samples from ECMWF Metview and then there's Ferret?
>
> I will check out the two packages you mentioned.

Ticket ID: FIG-705965
Department: Support Python