[python #FIG-705965]: Control Operational Portal

Greetings!

Due to the speed of reading and visualizing data with Python, to my knowledge
the use of the Python scientific stack (and tools like MetPy) are typically
limited to web applications that do the data visualization offline and present
users with static images. This site I believe is based on Python and uses some
MetPy under the hood:

http://arctic.som.ou.edu/tburg/products/realtime/models/?model=gfs&base=ptype&background=plain&state=states_brown&country=countries_brown&proj=conus&archive=false&run=2021040512

I suppose if the data were of limited size and the visualizations were simple
enough you could render images of vertical winds in an on-demand basis. You may
have some luck with tools like Bokeh or PlotLy for interactive graphics, but
that's going to depend on your ability to get your data into formats that those
tools can work well with interactively.

We're located in Boulder!

Cheers!

Ryan

> Dear UCAR:
>

> We want to develop a simple portal where we can view winds at different
> levels in the
> atmosphere, for say use for flying drones.
>
> I have recently been viewing the excellent series called Metpy Mondays, I
> believe taught by John Lee. I actually started
> viewing this series out of pure interest.
>
> We want a set of meteorological software tools to support viewing vertical
> wind fields and accessed via
> a web browser app (which we will run on AWS).
>
> We have access to say Metcast/JMV or AWIPS but believe we need a more
> customizable software package (note, will be visiting Air Force to see what
> they have).
>
> Can you refer to any web applications where your Metpy tool has been used? In
> particular, some URL?
>
> For example, where something like
> https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/examples/cross_section.html#sphx-glr-examples-cross-section-py
>
> was presented via a web app.
>
> Or alternatively, if you think there is a better software suite to be used in
> to render vertical winds.
>
> Note, if we tried to duplicate Windy.com using leaflet and some other python
> software but that effort was a bust ????
>
> P.S., our you guys located in Boulder or Madison?

Ticket ID: FIG-705965
Department: Support Python