[python #XHB-668184]: SHARPpy question

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to our Python support team, Iâll be glad to help out!
I see youâre asking about data availability and access for getting
atmospheric profiles from any model grid point as opposed to specific forecast
soundings like provided for BUFKIT. If you want to be able to grab a profile
from any single NWS NCEP model field (eg GFS, NAM, RAP) check out NCEIâs
THREDDS server (https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/thredds/model/model.html). Here you
could access your chosen output file via the NetcdfSubset service (NCSS) and
select a single lat, lon point to pull out a profile of winds at different
levels. You can similarly do the same for high-resolution HRRR output from our
own THREDDS server
(https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/grib/HRRR/CONUS_3km/wrfprs/catalog.html)
 or access HRRR archives from the University of Utah
(http://home.chpc.utah.edu/~u0553130/Brian_Blaylock/hrrr_FAQ.html), though
youâll have to be handier with GRIB for this archive. Importantly howe
 ver, note that any of these above will only have recorded output at the
original levels distributed, so vertical spacing will be *much* lower (eg every
25 hPa) than forecast soundings.

If you already have the data you need or have more specific questions about
reading these into SHARPpy, donât hesitate to follow up and let me know! I
can try to point you in the right direction.

All the best,

Drew

> Greetings,
>
> I am a meteorology student
> trying to do some research on forecasting winds at specific levels.
> I was wondering if you could help me out with a question I have about
> data access.  I am trying to get winds at specific heights like what
> BUFKIT has to offer but instead of predefined locations, I would like
> to have this data for any point location. I was interested to know if
> there is a way to access this data through SHARPpy as text files.
>
> Do you have any suggestions of the process I could use to access this
> data if it is indeed available?

Ticket ID: XHB-668184
Department: Support Python