[python #KKF-677031]: Skew-T follow up question

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, we got really busy with workshops and travel--but we're
back now!

This is a really good question, would you be willing to go ask it on Stack
Overflow so we can make the answer below more accessible (be sure to tag it
MetPy)?

https://stackoverflow.com

The SkewT object in MetPy is a special thing, but it has a .ax attribute that
is a standard Matplotlib Axes you can work with as normal, including using
matplotlib's text() plotting command:

fig = plt.figure(figsize=(9, 9))
skew = SkewT(fig, rotation=45)

# Plot the data using normal plotting functions, in this case using
# log scaling in Y, as dictated by the typical meteorological plot
skew.plot(p, T, 'r')
skew.plot(p, Td, 'g')
skew.plot_barbs(p, u, v)
skew.ax.set_ylim(1000, 100)
skew.ax.set_xlim(-40, 60)

# these are matplotlib.patch.Patch properties
props = dict(boxstyle='round', facecolor='wheat', alpha=0.5)

# place a text box in upper left in axes coords
skew.ax.text(0.05, 0.95, 'LCL: 757mb', transform=skew.ax.transAxes, fontsize=14,
             verticalalignment='top', bbox=props)

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> Hi,
>
> I am tinkering with the skew-t notebook we did at the training session.  Is
> there a way to put a text box on or next to the skew-t that includes the
> information.  (CAPE = xx, the LCL is XX, etc.)
>
> I know we did subplots, but I think the skew-t is a special king of figure
> that maybe has different rules?
>
> -John
> John Dumas
> Science and Operations Officer