[python #VGJ-299776]: Python GOES-16 Plot Question

Hi,

If you look at the call to `interact`, you'll see:

    interact(plot_GOES16_channel, date=fixed(date), idx=fixed(-2),
                  channel=channel, region=region)

The parameter idx is passed in as a fixed value of -2; if you look at the
`open_dataset` function, you can see this value is used to index into `dataset`
to pull out the file to view. So the notebook only uses the date to determine
which folder of data to use, and then always uses the second-to-last data file
within that folder.

You may be able modify the notebook to use the `filter_time_nearest` method to
identify the file in the catalog closest to your desired time:

https://unidata.github.io/siphon/latest/api/catalog.html#siphon.catalog.DatasetCollection.filter_time_nearest

For more information see this notebook:

https://github.com/Unidata/unidata-python-workshop/blob/master/notebooks/Siphon/Siphon%20Overview.ipynb

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> Hello team,
>
> I've been using your Jupyter notebook for the GOES-16 widget image
> generation and am running into a little issue when trying to get past time
> steps.
>
> I'm using your notebook from:
> https://github.com/Unidata/unidata-python-workshop/blob/master/notebooks/Satellite_Data/GOES_Interactive_Plot.ipynb
>
> I added the Full Disk region to the code as well so I'm trying to get the
> every 15 minute image.
>
> When I try and change the date = datetime.utcnow()  to a different date and
> time from the past ie 2018-09-25, any hour and minute I try to pass into
> the notebook, I only get the 23:30Z image for that day. Is it that I am not
> setting the time corresponding to the image correctly?
>
> Is there any solution that comes to mind in how to correct this?

Ticket ID: VGJ-299776
Department: Support Python