[python #OZE-274893]: Any way to avoid huuuuge git install on student machines?

Brian,

There are ways with a tool called Dask to do this kind of distributed computing
in GitHub--but that's beyond anything I've actually done myself, and probably
*not* for the weak of heart.

To solve your original problem with the Xcode install of git, you can use
conda-forge to install git instead--you just need to install it in the *root*
conda environment so that it's available when you try to create your
environment:

conda install -n root -c conda-forge git

Can you try that and see if it does what you'd like?

Ryan

> Hmm, perhaps we can run a jupyter-hub on our (Unidata supplied!) server…
>
> Does that requires accounts for everyone (student notebooks stored on the
> server)?
>
> Or can the compute be done on the server, while the students' inputs (like
> their USB-port measurement devices) and their results notebooks live on their
> personal machines?
>

> Thinking aloud.
> I can hardly parse this...
> https