[LDM #YXL-147160]: Purchasing an LDM Server

Hi Steve,

re: what you will be doing with your new LDM machine: simple relay or beefier

> It is the latter use that we are intending.

OK.

re: 128 MB RAM

> I assume that's 128 GB of RAM.

Oops, yes I meant 128 GB.

re:

> I envision the first part of the above (ingest IDD data and decode as
> much as possible), and it may be good to have the option to run a
> THREDDS or RAMADDA server, but that is less essential.  Keeping an
> archive of about a month in length would be ideal, although shorter
> lengths for products with high volume like the 0.25-deg GFS or NEXRAD
> would be OK if necessary.

OK.  15 TB should be enough to keep about a month of data with the
current volume of IDD data.  We have 10 TB of disk on our motherlode
clone machines and we are using approx. 6-8 TB for 20 days.  As IDD
data volumes go up, however, your disk space needs will also increase,
this is why I mention 15 TB instead of more.

re:
> We "only" have $5500 to spend, but I imagine something like that UMiami
> machine would be at least somewhat closer to that price by now.  Please
> send the specifics, and I'll work with my IT guy to get something as
> close to that as we can with our budget.

I have attached the quote that the UMiami folks sent us back in 2013.
Of course, the prices listed for the class of hardware specified are
no longer valid!

Ticket ID: YXL-147160
Department: Support LDM