[Support #UXN-404018]: Machine config for UW-AOS Eq Grant THREDDS server

Hi Pete,

> >> I'm currently looking at a Dell PowerEdge R515 server with 2XAMD Opteron
> >> 4386 cpus (3.1 Ghz, 8 core per cpu), 64 Gb total memory, and as much
> >> disk and as fast of disk I can afford. I've got about $5700 from the
> >> grant, and plan to supplement that with some of our own money to go a
> >> little over that.

I agree with Tom -- this looks like a great configuration.  I always spec as
much memory as I can afford without breaking the bank.  It looks like you
did the same...

> >> For disk storage, I'm torn between SAS/Near-Line SAS/SATA.  I'd like to
> >> go with 15k SAS drives for the real-time ldm stuff, but they are pretty
> >> pricey, so I'm considering using enterprise SATA for the longer term
> >> storage/archival/cases study part.

We've avoided SAS in favor of more stripes on more SATA drives -- so far,
it's worked out reasonably well (knock on wood).

> >> Currently thinking along the lines of 6x600 15K SAS 6Gps 3.5 in drives
> >> set up in a 3x2 Raid 10 setup (total of about 1.8 Gb on this RAID), and
> >> 6x2Tb SATA 3Gb set up in a Raid6 (total of 8 Tb on this RAID) for the
> >> archive. Does this seem wise/reasonable?

That looks like a reasonable config.  I'd probably go with straight SATA,
especially using enterprise drives with a spare or two.

> >> Currently the Dell web site is warning me I can't mix SAS and SATA
> >> drives on the Perc H700 controller, but I will contact our rep to make
> >> sure. I know we have mixed SAS and SATA on Areca raid cards before, and
> >> if that is not an option with Dell, I can look elsewhere as well.

I've not mixed SAS and SATA on the same controller though I have heard it done.
Let me know if I can offer any help -- it looks like you have great specs...

mike

Ticket ID: UXN-404018
Department: Support Platforms