[Platforms #YOO-548677]: Machine Specs for Proposed GEMPAK Server to El Centro College in Dallas

Hi Steve,

I apologize for not getting back to you quickly on your reply to my original
email...

re:
> Thank you for information.  I found it very encouraging.

Excellent!

re:
> I probably should
> say that the reason I considered SkyWatch to do the install is because I had
> them do a personal project for me many years ago, and they were the first to
> come to mind.  I have precious little knowledge of Linux systems although I
> am certainly reading up on it now.  Were you suggesting that I should go
> ahead and install LDM/GEMPAK myself  once I reach that level of expertise?

No.  I was just surprised.  Most sites like to "roll their own"...

re:
> One of the main features that made SkyWatch attractive was the fact they
> would provide built-in scripts to upload any map we create to a website.

Very good.

re:
> I do realize we will need other assistance if we are to successfully emulate
> what DuPage has done (i.e., set up the McIDAS system), but as you stated in
> your email, it appears you will be able to assist our efforts when we reach
> that level.

Yup, please don't hesitate to ask questions!

re:
> We strongly desire to establish a top notch weather website as
> well as provide the foundation for individual research projects within the
> department.
>
> I will certainly check out the Ethernet interface type as you suggested.

I am almost 100% sure that the machine you sent the specs for has one,
if not more, Gbps Ethernet interfaces.

re:
> And finally, I registered with your website several weeks ago with my
> college email address of address@hidden.   I didn't know if that
> actually constitutes El Centro as becoming an official member of Unidata.

Yes, it did/does.  The Unidata community is like a large family:  it
is easy to get into and hard to get out :-)

re:
> have been playing around with the IDV, and I am amazed at what is available.
> I am very excited about getting El Centro involved in the Unidata program,
> and I am confident that in time, we will likely pull in the others colleges
> within the Dallas County Community College District.  There is a severe lack
> of meteorological instruction here in the North Texas area, and we are
> hoping to change that.  The interest is very high, especially because of
> being located in a highly active weather region of the country: tornado
> outbreak in January followed by record snowfall in February!

We are glad to hear your enthusiasm.  The community can be very helpful in
a number of ways, so I would advise you to subscribe to relevant email lists
as you start to become active (e.g., address@hidden, address@hidden,
address@hidden, etc.).

re:
> Thank you again for your insights and assistance.

No worries.  Again, welcome to the community!

Ticket ID: YOO-548677
Department: Support Platforms