[Platforms #JRS-564662]: equipment for a replacement LDM server

Hi Chirag,

re:
> Here are the specs of Dell Energysmart 2950 III that we are thinking of
> acquiring:
>
> * Processor: Two Quad Core Xeon L5420 (2x6MB Cache, 2.5GHz) 1333MHz FSB
> * Memory: 32 GB (8x4GB quad ranked DIMMs)
> * Disk: Two 73GB 15k rpm SAS 2.5" (HotPlug) on raid 1
> * Raid: Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1, PERC 6/i Integrated/SAS6/iR
> * Controller: PERC6i SAS (256MB cache)
> * OS: No floppy drive or OS (we will go with CentOS 5.x)
> * Network: Two embedded Broadcom gigabit
> * Optical: SATA CDRW/DVD-ROM
> * Power: Redundant, dual power cords
> * Support: 5 year, NBD onsite

This looks like quite the muscle machine!  It will easily run the LDM and
any data decoder that we have available at the moment!!

> It would cost us around 6 to 7K.

This seems like a reasonable price.

> We were thinking of bumping up the hard disk size and go with two 320
> or 500 GB 10k SATA 3.5" drives instead of SAS. We don't intend to archive
> data on this server; just channel the IDD stream, and therefore I chose
> 73GB SAS.

I think that this will be ample for the present.  You may eventually want
to keep sizable fractions of the data online for classroom/research use.
At that point, you would likely want to increase your disk resources.

> In the next 5 years, though, if need to archive data for any reason a
> bigger disk would help.
>
> I will greatly appreciate your thoughts on this server. In comparison to
> this our current ingester has humble configuration.

This looks very good, and you seem to have a plan for the future.  If it
were just going to support what is available in the IDD right now, and
if you did not have plans for significant expansion in the future, it
might be considered overkill, however.

> Thanks for taking the time to review the specs.

No worries.  I apologize for not being able to get to this sooner, but
I was out of the office yesterday, and I was waiting to hear back from
our systems folks with specs for our community THREDDS/RAMADDA/ADDE
server, motherlode.ucar.edu to see how your listing compared.  It
compares favorably except in the disk storage category.

Ticket ID: JRS-564662
Department: Support Platforms