[Platforms #WWG-369832]: Computer support info

Hi Jim,

Linda forwarded this to Unidata Support for comment...

re:
> Does Unidata provide any guidance/suggestions with respect to how
> much manpower it takes to manage the LDM, GEMPAK, and other tools
> necessary for real-time data acquisition and visualization?

Not officially.  We do advise sites on a case-by-case basis on what
kind of effort will be needed to support their installations.  This
estimate depends on what the site's objective is (e.g., use by
faculty/staff/graduate students for research, full labs used by
undergraduates, etc.).  A good rule of thumb is that a new site should
expect to expend about 50% of an experienced FTE during the initial setup
phase.  Sites with inexperienced support staff will spend a LOT more than
this since the person(people) who do the implementation need to come up
to speed.

> Also, have
> you ever done a survey to see how much support departments get for this
> activity? If so, could you provide this to me?

I think that this kind of question was asked on early Unidata surveys.  I
don't think we have asked sites this question in the past decade, however.

> I'm pushing our
> administration for more help in this area (my non-scientific survey of
> peers suggests we are woefully undersupported) and would like all the
> info I can get.

I think you should contact Mark Laufersweiler <address@hidden>.  Mark gave a
very nice
talk on the setup at OU and how students have responded.  OU's setup should
make for a good target to shoot for when looking for more resources.

> Thanks,

No worries.

Aside: was the ski season as good in Utah as it was in Colorado?  It was
fantastic here!!

Ticket ID: WWG-369832
Department: Support Platforms