20041203: LDM and Gempak license requirements

>From: gvidaurr <address@hidden>

Hi German,

>I am planning to install LDM and GEMPAK at the University of Nevada,
>Reno, Physics department.  The network chief is wondering is there is
>any license requirement.

There are no licensing agreements for either LDM or GEMPAK.  We want
people to register with the Unidata web site and get the packages through
its download facilities, however.

>Also, we understand that the software use is
>100% free and no fee will added later.  I just want to confirm all this
>and verify is we need a license.

Yes, the software use is 100% free.

>He is also considering to install the software in a machine with a
>FreeBSD OS and a compiler gcc.  He is afraid it can cause some
>problems.  Do you think it will work or better go for another machine?

There are some know LDM issues under FreeBSD 5.[23].  We will be trying
to sort these out in the coming days.  We routinely run under FreeBSD
4.[89], and both the LDM and GEMPAK run great!

>Are the GEMPAK requirements the same for the LDM?

No, not quite.  Please check out the list of binary GEMPAK distributions
that are available.  The LDM will run on all platforms for which we
provide GEMPAK binary distriubtions.

>I appreciate any insights.  You can contact me or you can also contact
>the network chief Bill Webster at
>
>(775) 784-6535
>address@hidden

We can talk about this if you feel it is needed, but I don't think you
are looking at any potential problems _unless_ you are going to try
to use FreeBSD 5.[23].  In that case, we would have to advise you to
either use a different OS or a different (older) version of FreeBSD.

>Looking forward to hearing from you
>--
>German Vidaurre
>Atmospheric Sciences Program, UNR
>Desert Research Institute
>2215 Raggio Parkway
>Reno, NV 89512-1095
>phone:  (775) 674-7085; fax:  (775) 674-7007
>email:  address@hidden

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas