Re: FTP problems with Linux

Hi Bryan,

The problem we were having was ftping from our msg ingestor to a Redhat enterprise box. Most ftps were fine, but once in a while, an ftp would hang, (sometimes for several hours if we didn't kill it.) This would cause the MSG ingestor to not send any data until the hung ftp was gone. Apparently, the dispatch from the VCS software handled this serially.

This occurred with proftpd. We tried vsftp, but switched back to proftpd because we had other problems with vsftpd. Our solution to the problem was to automatically check for hung ftp sessions, and kill them. (note the msg signal sends nearly 500 segment files an hour, and each is a seperate transaction)

The problem did not occur at all when we ftp'd to our AIX box (also running
proftpd.)

Jerry

Batson, Bryan wrote:
Jerry,

I seem to recall you mentioning something the other day on my tour of the datacenter that your VCS box had trouble FTP'ing to Linux systems. Am I remembering that correctly? We are having an issue with a couple of Red Hat systems (7.3 and 8.0, I think) not being able to FTP to a system at NCEP that our HP-UX systems have no problems connecting to. Our problem may be client side, but I thought I'd ask anyway as the problems may be related.

Tom...I cc'd you since I thought you may have heard of similar problems.

Thanks,

Bryan Batson
281-853-3238

--
Jerrold Robaidek                       Email:  address@hidden
SSEC Data Center                       Phone: (608) 262-6025