20040727: Software RAID on Solaris x86

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

I "found" this inquiry in our inbox.  Sorry for the trdy reply.

>Kind of a different question.  In the past someone told me they were
>running Solaris 9 on an AMD box there at Unidata,

Yes, on more than one, in fact.

>possibly using software
>RAID..

It turns out that we were using a hardware RAID with SCSI disks,
not a software RAID.

>but I just cannot remember who it was.  If you guys do have
>a Solaris/software RAID setup...what are the particulars of your
>RAID setup.

Back when we used the x86 platform for our in-house data decode
box, we used hardware RAID.  We now us a FreeBSD box for the same
purpose, and it has been having RAID prob.ems recently.  For a long
time we used hardware RAID on it, and had no problems.  For some
reason, recently the RAID would "blow-up" (disappear) during operation
or after a reboot.  This got to be so bad, that we ripped out the
RAID card and went to using a software RAID.  Again, this is under
FreeBSD.

>Assuming you are running an LDM on that box.

Yes.

>Thanks,

Sorry for the tardy reply.

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support  <