20040206: Linux

>From:  Dan Vietor <address@hidden>

Hi Dan,

>I'm a bit tired of falling behind the learning curve here.

Join the group :-(

>I just recently bought a $600 HP system with an 80GB disk and have
>loaded it with 4 Linux releases.  I have Red Hat Pro Workstation (RHEL
>3.0), Red Hat 9, SuSE 9.0 and Fedora.  Boy, Fedora just didn't want to
>install...  Maybe I can throw a version of Mandrake and Gentoo on there
>as well.  ;-)

Hmm...  We had doing an upgrade from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora Core 1, but
not in doing full installations.

>I know you were using Fedora at the show but I wanted to get your feel
>as to whether the move to Fedora has the community thinking of going to
>another Linux distribution.

What I see is a fracturing of our Linux community.  Those that already
went with Debian and SuSE seem to be fat and happy.  Those that went
with Slackware havn't made a sound.  The rest of the set of Unidata
Linux users were on RedHat, and, quite frankly, I have not been able to
get a good reading of where they seem themselves going.  We decided to
try out Fedora, and since it is essentially RH 10, have not seen any
reason to bail .. yet.

>From what I see of Fedora, it looks like an
>updated version of RH 9 and little else.

That was our impression as well.

>I am quite impressed with the
>number of packages available to SuSE.  Some of the tools and KDE apps
>seem to be a year or two ahead of their equivalent Gnome apps in terms
>of functionality and maturity.

The problem I have with KDE is that McIDAS does not run correctly under
KDE, but it does under Gnome.  Go figure!

>I can see where KDE vs Gnome has become something of a religious war.

I just use what works with the least amount of pain.

>I'm currently working on integrating Gempak into our NOAAPORT solution.
>Fun, fun...

That shouldn't be that hard.  PDI already offers GEMPAK with their
NOAAPORT stuff.

>Back to working on Fedora.

What problem do you have installing Fedora?