20030116: build/install times for Unidata McIDAS on various platforms

>From:  "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>

Hi Marianne,

>This is an easy one:
>
>On one of your fastest UNIX machines (SUN? HP? Or what?), how long does a comp
>lete build and install of mcidas take?

The fastest machine I build McIDAS-X and -XCD on is a dual 1 Ghz
processor Pentium IV machine that has 4 GB of RAM and 10,000 RPM IBM
SCSI disks and is running FreeBSD 4.7.  Building my entire distribution
takes just over 8 minutes.  Installation takes another 1.5 to 2
minutes.  My compilation environment on this machine is GNU gcc and
g77.  I have to add that the Unidata release of McIDAS is a lot larger
than the SSEC one.  In addition to adding in XCD, I add a number of
routines not supported by SSEC.

The speed record for building McIDAS is at one of my user's sites.
The platform was almost identical to the machine I described above
including running FreeBSD.  Build and install times there were just
under 8 minutes.

The typical amount of time it takes to build on other platforms I
support varies widely.  The typical time on a Sun E450 is 40 minutes.
The time on our Compaq OSF/1 and HP-UX 11.0 machines is more like 20-30
minutes.  Our IRIX 6.5 machine which is almost 5 years old takes almost
two hours as does our AIX 4.3 machine which is also about 5 years old.

Are you looking to get a faster machine for running McIDAS?

>Thank you,

No worries.

Tom

>From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>
>Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:57:39 +0100
>To: <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030116: build/install times for Unidata McIDAS on
>       various platforms

Thank you for the info.

We are just generally looking for faster machines, and as my mcidas
build and install took almost 3 hours this week I thought that a
comparison of these times is a good information for my boss (to stress
the issue that we need faster machines).

Have a good day,

Marianne