20020320: thelma hardware

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I was just curious.  You said that you got a replacement machine for thelma.

We ordered a replacement for thelma.  Delivery is expected in 1.5 - 2
weeks.

>What hardware did you get and OS

Sun SPARC, Solaris.

>and what will thelma be doing?

Actually, thelma might stay in place.  We (Mike and John, our sysadmins)
did a couple of things to try and isolate the problem what was occurring:
remove the gigabit ethernet card and remove 1 GB of RAM.  After his was
done early yesterday, we have been "wailing" on thelma to try and cause
it to fail.  So far, it is purring along nicely.  We will leave thelma
with its current configuration for several days (up to a week), and then
try adding things back in one-by-one - assuming, of course that it is
still running well.  The first thing that will be done is to add back the
1 GB of RAM (to bring its RAM back to 4 GB).  If that works well, we
will turn disk mirroring back on.  If that works correctly, we will
feel pretty confident that the problem was being caused by the gigabit
ethernet adapter.  If all of this goes smoothly, we will continue to use
thelma as a high volume IDD relay.

Tom