20000707: ADDE server change for RTGINI imagery

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I have switched over and my scripts seem to be working fine.

OK, I hope that you got my follow-up message warning of an upcoming
IP change to the ADDE machine (motherlode.ucar.edu also known as
adde.ucar.edu, dods.ucar.edu, zuul.ucar.edu).

>Is there any possibility that the *.gem files for HDS,upperair,
>surface will be on the same machine available via FTP?  We are
>tied into using GEMPAK for our briefing images now.

We are talking about just what kinds of files should be on the machine.
GEMPAK forms for data are some of the ones being discussed.

>You have probably seen my messages about the E250..

Yes, I followed the exchanges with a lot of interest.

>Do you feel
>dual processor Sun's have overall performance/reliability advantages
>over Intel?

We don't really have anything to base a judgement like this on.  Our
experience with dual processor PCs has been very good.  In order to
improve disk performance on one box that is ingesting ALL (and I
mean datastreams ALL including all NIDS sites and CONDUIT), we
just ordered a hardware RAID card (we have been using software RAID).

>I have switched my thinking on our PII 400 vs. our
>Sun clone.  As I have loaded more and more onto the machines
>the Gateway has become pretty sluggish as a workstation, while
>the 440Mhz Sparc hardly notices it.  (Both have 7200rpm UW SCSI
>disks).

This is very interesting to us.  Our experience with our PCs has
not been negative, but, then again, we use our machines differently
than you use yours.

>The Sun has more RAM, but the Gateway is not short on RAM
>(no swapping taking place).  I have also been very impressed
>with the Ultra 5 (low-end) that I got (with a SunPCI card to run
>WIndows NT) for my personal use.

How much did it cost?

>I know you guys were using
>dual CPU Intels running Solaris.

Right, and these machines seem to run really well.

>Thanks,

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jul 12 17:19:36 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000707: ADDE server change for RTGINI imagery

Yes just from being used as a web server or as an LDM/decoding machine
our Gateway does fine.  But if you are in front of it using it as a
workstation it is much more sluggish than the UltraSparc I am sitting
in front of it when it is being hit hard.

The Ultra 5 I bought for personal use was one of the $1275 edu specials
which expired on June 30 with the 360 US IIi with 256K cache, 128MB
RAM, 8GB IDE disk and 17-inch monitor.  I added a SUN PCI SCSI card
($160), SunPCI card ($400), extra 128MB RAM from memoryx ($250) and an
external 18GB UWSCSI hard drive from Megahaus.com..all total about
$2600.  So with the SunPCI card I basically got two computers for $2600

Apparently we are almost alone in using our machines for all of the
decoding/web serving plus serving as the workstation.  We are going to
be required to supply web access for satellite imagery and possibly
upper-air/surface obs for flights that will circumnavigate several
times, with flights up to 100 days. I don't have the CPU or disk space
to do that..so hopefully we can at least get an Ultra 5 like I
described above.  I could just point them to some websites, but would
not really give them what they want and our mission is to support the
research properly.