20000328: PC as a Unidata LDM ingestor and application server (cont.)

>From: Eric Pani <address@hidden>

Eric,

>Tom: below you suggest a commercial X window system instead of the one
>that comes with Solaris x86.  Got a recommendation?

The company I was alluding to was Xi Graphics.  Their web site is:
http://www.xig.com/

Please don't misunderstand me.  If the machine is not going to be used
as a primary display device, and you specifying a 17" monitor seems
to be saying this, then you really don't need to purchase a third-party
X window system.  If, however, you _really_ want to get a machine with
a video card that is not supported by Solaris x86, and you will be
using the box for display, then you will be forced into looking at
a commercial product like that sold by Xi Graphics or, possibly,
XFree86 which is freely available (http://www.xfree86.org/).

>Re your question about McIDAS: we haven't used it for about the last
>year because of the slowness and last of space with the SPARC20.  I
>think we will use it again, however.  Especially if we get a new
>ingestor.

OK, just curious.

Tom