19990618: Info on Suns and McIDAS

>From: Steve Silberberg <address@hidden>

Steve,

>Please forgive me for not knowing the answers to these questions, but
>I'm confused
>
>We are running Solaris 2.5.1 and McIDAS 7.10.

OK.

>My sys admin says he wants to upgrade our sun to Solaris OS 7 because
>2.5.1 is not Y2K compatible.

Right.  Solaris 2.5.x is pretty old now.  Sun has had 2.6 in release
for several years and 2.7 for over one year.

>Will the new versions of McIDAS (7.5) and
>the LDM and LDM-McIDAS run on solaris 7?

Absolutely.  In fact, we are running on Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 (SPARC and x86)
here at Unidata.  We upgraded from 2.5.x some time ago.

>The table on your web site of
>supported platforms left me a little confused.

We will have to look into this.  I believe, however, that the page specifically
for McIDAS-X is pretty clear as to the platforms that we have successfully
built and run on.  This page is:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/specs.html

Under Sun, it lists Solaris x86 2.6, 2.7 and SPARC 2.6.  For my McIDAS 7.6
release, I will be building on SPARC 2.6 and 2.7 so that this list reflects
current operating systems.

>Many thanks for your help.

You are welcomd.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri Jun 18 14:36:10 1999
Hello Tom,

I see where I am confused and I thank you for your help.

I have been confused with the naming of sun's os's.

Solaris 2.7 = Solaris 7

If this is the case, then your web site is correct and the error is
mine.  Folks here are telling me that we have to install Solaris 7 and
this is Solaris 2.7.

Thanks for your help and have a nice weekend.

Steve

Steve Silberberg                      address@hidden
Assistant Prof.-Meteorology Program
Department of Geography               815-753-6853 voice
Northern Illinois University          815-753-6872 fax
DeKalb, IL  60115-2854
Real-Time Model Verification: AVN,ETA,ECMWF,MRF,NGM,RUC
Analysis Intercomparisons and Differences: ETA-NGM-RUC-AVN @ 00/12Z
MSLP 48-h Forecast Intercomparison: AVN,ECMWF,ETA32/48,NGM
http://taiga.geog.niu.edu/verification/