19990504: PC platforms for running Unidata applications (cont.)

Debby,

>Actually, I can get two of the smaller machines, or one of the bigger
>machines, but not both.  That is why I am trying to figure out which way
>to go...considering the fact that we will have to live with whatever we
>get for quite awhile.

You didn't say what kind of monitors you were going to get with the
machine(s), or how much they were going to cost.  If you are looking
at 21" monitors, you could save a little money by dropping back down
to 19".  Also, others here commented that IF you were never going to
use the ingest/decode machine for interactive use, then it would be
a waste of money to purchase a large color monitor.  I'm not trying
to cloudy the picture here, but, rather, to throw out some more ideas
on saving money.

>Unless Mike Keables or I get external funding
>(like this NSF grant), the real-time meteorology program is not well
>supported here...

You should be looking to upgrade/augment your machines on a
more-or-less continuing basis.  Purchasing fewer machines more
frequently (I hope that that makes sense) has the advantage of your
machines not hitting "old age" all at the same time.  Experience at
several sites that purchased a number of machines to equip a lab all at
the same time has shown us that things are great until they all start
showing their age.  The problem then is that you have to go out and
repurchase the same number of machines.  This is not so easy to do when
money is short.

>So....one "predator-like" machine to do everything, or two machines to
>split the work?

I would suggest getting two machines instead of one.  Plus, the 450 Mhz
machines are no slouches!  It gives you an additional "analysis seat"
and also provides a backup if one of the machines fails for some
reason.

>The "Ice Princess" is getting ready to head back to Iceland soon!!! :-)

Cool.  Have a great time!

Tom