19990419: IBM PS/2 Model 70-A21 crash

>From: "Charlie Smith" <address@hidden>

Charlie-

>Greetings,
>I am trying to get information on how to make my ps/2 model 70 computers
>operate.
>I have a type 8570-161  and 8570-A21 which both refuse to boot up.
>Both machines show a 161and 163 error code on the monitor when powered
>up.
>I have downloaded  reference diskette information version 1.12 from IBM
>but the machines will not get past the error code display, even with the
>diskette loaded in the a: drive upon boot-up.
>Any recommendations you have would be greatly appriecated.

We do not have any PS/2 model 70's any more.  If I remember correctly,
the 161 and 163 errors indicated a mismatched configuration and it seemed
to happen if the battery was low.  It's been so long since I've worked on
one, that I don't remember what to do from there except reset the configuration
using the reference diskette.

You might try:

http://www.can.ibm.com/helpware/vintage.html

to see if there is any other information on these systems.

>Sincerely,
>
>Charles G. Smith
>address@hidden
>address@hidden