19990224: ldm on new Solaris x86 PC at St. Cloud (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>Well Don, I can see why you did not want to explain it.  I do thank you for
>your blow by blow account of the process.

Yeah, I started to figure out how to explain it, but then figured
doing it first and then explaining afterward was easier.  At least now
you have some documentation if you need/want to do a similar thing
in the future.

>Questions
>
>When I look at my disk now,  (df -k) I see the new file system as mounted at
>/var/data, yet in your description, I would have expected to see it just
>as /data ,  so that part seems puzzling.  Does it mean the new file system
>just hangs off the end of /var , where /var is another filesystem?

Ooops, my mistake.  I originally was mounting it as /data, but then
decided to make it /var/data.  I did this while I was writing the note
and forgot to change it.  So, in the note, change references to
/data to /var/data.  Otherwise, I would have had to create a link
between /var/data and /data and that was one extra step that was
not needed.

>Also, what happened to the original /var/data ? I assume this was deleted in
>the new allocation process?

It is actually still there in theory.  If you unmounted /var/data, you
would see the original directory tree.  I wouldn't recommend this
though. ;-)

>I have now gone back and edited scriptconfig with the new perl address
>and the mkqueue and start commands work for ldmadmin.  I will be checking
>with Clint Rowe to see if he will feed both our machines for a short time,
>so we can check things out.  Then will also proceed with mcidas stuff which
>you also described for us earlier (Feb 11 I think).

Okay.  Remember you will need to have the reverse name lookup working
to be fed from the outside.  For test purposes, you could try feeding
from hobbes first.  All hobbes would need is an entry in the /etc/hosts
table for the Solaris system for that to work.

Thanks for the joke.  I'll pass that along locally.

Again, let us know if we can be of help.

Don