19990222: ldm at stc, getting perl

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>I have been thinking how we obtained perl (from sunfreeware.com) and
>suppose this would apply to gcc as well.  I know we did this from a
>web browser, probably the one that came with solaris2.7 x86, think
>it carries the name 'hotjava'.  Seems to work just fine.

This should be acceptable.

>My question is; when we bring things across this way, are the ftp
>sessions automatically set to binary by the browser?  These packages
>come through the browser as .gz files, but when the appropriate button
>is clicked to obtain them, it looks like the browser starts an ftp transfer.
>No option for binary is ever offered.  As I noted yesterday in response
>to Tom's message we will redo our import and unpacking of perl.

The default is binary.  The first thing you need to get from that site
is the gzip-1.2.4-sol7-intel-local package.  Download this to
/tmp and then use the pkgadd command to install it into /usr/local.
You will need this to unzip the other packages before you can use
pkgadd.  I'm not sure what pkgadd would do if you didn't unzip the
package first.  Did you run pkgadd or just move the file over?

>From:      address@hidden
>Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:59:51 +0000
>
>Hi
>
>A bit more on the perl thing.  I just got another copy of perl
>via binary ftp, without using a browser.  Noticed that the packed
>file was 3.6 MB  ( .gz file).  If the final executable file that
>results is only supposed to be about .6MB, why is the original
>file given out by sunfreeware so big?
>
>  the site I used was sunsite.unc.edu/pub/solaris/freeware/...
>
>  file name was perl-5.005_02-sol7-intel-local.gz
>
>This is the same file we got earlier from sun's website, sunfreeware.com.
>and is what we now have, ready to unpack with gzip.

After unpacking, you need to use the pkgadd program to install the
package.  See the Downloading/Installing instructions at at
the Sun Freeware site (www.sunfreeware.com)

The perl package includes not only the perl binary (perl), but other
supporting files.  Here is a list from a 2.6 system running Perl 5.00403:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     100184 Oct 12  1997 a2p*
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     other      36353 Oct 12  1997 c2ph*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      12250 Oct 12  1997 find2perl*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       7359 Oct 12  1997 h2ph*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      21523 Oct 12  1997 h2xs*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      28212 Oct 12  1997 perlbug*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      11341 Oct 12  1997 perldoc*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       4229 Oct 12  1997 pl2pm*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       2338 Oct 12  1997 pod2html*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      22309 Oct 12  1997 pod2latex*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      28439 Oct 12  1997 pod2man*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other        177 Oct 12  1997 pod2text*
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     other      36353 Oct 12  1997 pstruct*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      14942 Oct 12  1997 s2p*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      13920 Oct 12  1997 splain*
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     other     511768 Oct 12  1997 perl*
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     other     511768 Oct 12  1997 perl5.00403*

It could be that the version of perl that you get does get installed
in /usr/local/perl-5.  However, on other systems (using Solaris 2.6)
it got installed in /usr/local/bin.  When you install the LDM, you will
run the script "scriptconfig" which will find the location of Perl
and then configure all the LDM scripts accordingly.  You should
NOT modify the scriptconfig script, but let it find Perl on its own.
I'm not sure what happens if the script fails and you run it twice.
You may have to unpack the LDM distribution again.

You do not need gcc for the LDM.  However, the procedure for installing
gcc is the same - download the gzipped file, unzip it and then use pkgadd.
gcc will have some supporting documentation installed in /usr/local/doc.gcc
but the binary will be installed in /usr/local/bin.

I tried to log in using the login info you sent Tom, but the password
was not the same.  If you need more help, let us know.

Don