[netCDF #BDU-355579]: netCDF 4.8.1

Hi,

We do not have the previous version archived, unfortunately.  I could try to
regenerate them, but I do not currently have the proper environment set up.  I
think it will be better if we are able to determine why this is happening, as
it appears to be an issue rooted in Windows and not the installer package
itself.

Looking into it, it appears that the maximum length of the path is 260
characters (by default). Source:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd

The same webpage gives instructions to enable Long Paths in Windows 10, but
this requires editing the registry.  If this is something you're comfortable
doing, that may be the most immediate solution to this issue. If you're
uncertain, I would caution you to make sure you know what you're doing, as
editing the registry improperly can cause serious issues.  In either case, that
bit of information I've provided is not advice, just information, proceed with
your own level of comfort!

We can test whether the system path limitation is the issue pretty easily.
What happens if you try to install it to the root of the C:\ drive? If that
succeeds, then we know it is probably character path issue inherent to Windows,
and switching to a different installer won't solve the broader problem.  If it
still fails with the same issue, we'll know an error (as-of-yet unreported
before this) has crept in and will need to be addressed with our installer.

Give installing to the root of C: a try; it's not a great location and can be
immediately uninstalled, we just want to see if things work properly.  Let us
know what the result is, and we can figure out how to proceed from there,
thanks!

-Ward

> Hi
>
> I've downloaded the netCDF4 installer from your website, but when I
> execute it it fails and complains that the system path because is too
> long.
>
> As far as I can see the copy part of the install works well, although it
> may well be that the various dll's are left unregistered, and of course
> the addition to the system path aren't made.
>
> I've tried the installer on both my Windows 10 PC's, and it fails on
> both machines complaining about the length of the system path, which as
> far as I know can be of infinite length.
>
> I would go back to the previous version of the installer, but I deleted
> it from my machine and can't see where its archived on your site.
>
> Can you help?
>
> Bruce Messer.
>

> NetCDF: Installing and Using netCDF-C Libraries in Windows (ucar.edu)
> <https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html#msvc-notes>

Ticket ID: BDU-355579
Department: Support netCDF